usd-2018-0027 | Icinga Web 2/2.6.1
Advisory ID: usd-2018-0027
CVE number: CVE-2018-18246
Affected Product: Icinga Web 2
Affected Version: 2.6.1
Vulnerability Type: Cross-site request forgery
Security Risk: Medium
Vendor URL: https://www.icinga.com/
Vendor Status: Fixed
In a CSRF attack the attacker can take actions of the web application in behalf of the victim.
Therefore the user has to click on a malicious link of the attacker while being logged in to the web application.
Due to the CSRF vulnerability, the attacker can enable or disable modules.
Proof of Concept (PoC)
Attacks need to target an authenticated user with sufficient privileges. The CSRF attack simply needs to send the victim to the following URLs:
GET request to /icingaweb2/config/moduledisable?name=monitoring
disables the monitoring module.
GET request to /icingaweb2/config/moduleenable?name=setup
enables the setup module.
Convert requests to HTTP POST and make sure that requests which change the state of the application have a valid CSRF token.
- 2018-09-12 First contact request via firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2018-10-02 Vendor received advisories via email@example.com
- 2018-10-11 CVE-ID requested
- 2018-10-12 received CVE ID and notified vendor about it
- 2018-11-09 extended public disclosure deadline to 2018-11-25
- 2018-11-23 vendor states to have fixed the vulnerability in Icinga Web 2 v2.6.2
- 2018-12-07 Security advisory released
The security vulnerability was found by Maximilian Boehner of usd AG.
The X-OWA-UrlPostData header could be decoded to the following: